Thursday, August 1, 2013

"Like a God Damn Postcard..."

I can't tell you how many times those words have come out of the hubby's mouth since we've ventured into the great white north.  Although, it's pretty green here these days.  I've been meaning to share the hike we took on my birthday a few weeks ago. - It might be the most scenic one we've been on yet.  (And I think my favorite so far)

Peeking out from one of the trails - It almost looks fake

The birthday hike of choice was at Fort Abercrombie, which is part of the Alaska State Parks system, and is also on the National Register of Historic Places.  It has 182 acres of land with some of the most well-developed trails in Kodiak.  Not to mention stunning views.  Oh yeah, it also has the historic ruins of a WWII coastal defense installation, but that part isn't nearly as beautiful or interesting to me.  Sorry, history buffs. 

Guns and the Hubby & Pug dog at Miller Point
 We only stayed for a few hours, so we didn't even make a dent in exploring all the trails the park has to offer. - But we did get a chance to stroll around Miller Point, which overlooks the northern Pacific.  It was such a clear day, so the view didn't disappoint.   We also hiked along two of the trails:  Moss Trail, and the Lake Gertrude Trail.  I would definitely do both again.  

Moss trail was...mossy.  Aptly named, apparently.  It's unbelievable how the moss coats the entire floor of the forest, and then crawls its way up the trees, covering almost everything in its path.  Anything that falls on the ground is completely overtaken by the moss, and then over time is transformed into some sort of hybrid moss/tree/natural specimen that you just can't help standing in front of, gawking at.  Magical is a little much, but I'm telling you...magical!

Moss Trail
I read that there are over 110 different varieties of moss in Kodiak.  Just based on the diversity in color, I believe it!  So many shades of green. - And the way it feels under your shoes;  so spongy and soft.

 

Part of the Lake Gertrude Trail

For about four seconds, I thought about taking off my socks and trusty New Balance to see how it felt on my bare feet.  And my immediate next thought was eww, bugs.  Followed by hmmm, it's a little chilly for no shoes.  Still though - that springy, soft texture just begs you to give it a try.  Maybe next time.



The Lake Gertrude trail was a memorable one.  Fort Abercrombie is described as diverse, and I can't say I disagree.  So much beauty.  We saw vibrant, flowering green lily pads in the lake, towering Sitka Spruce trees, and a gorgeous beach with beautiful mountain views.

Cheety's second-ever Alaskan swim.







It was so peaceful

I had to add Fort Abercrombie to my list of places to share with any brave visitors who make the trek all the way up here to come and see us.  No doubt one of the must-do's in Kodiak.  Since we only just got here, I know we'll be adding a lot more to that list.  Don't worry, I'll keep you in the loop. - Even when the green is no more and it really becomes the great white north...and I possibly start buying hot cocoa and Baileys in bulk.

Ta-ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment